Monday, February 22, 2010

Washington D.C. in the Winter or Day 1 of our adventure

So, we are in Washington D.C. for Matt's Florida Municipal Power Authority (think that is what it is called.)
I am so lucky that I got to go with him thanks to our friends the Larsen's and Shaddix's.
It has been cold this first day! I anticipated the cold and was actually freaking out about it for weeks ahead of time that I actually made my own gloves, hat and scarf for this occasion and had to go find a coat in Ocala (which believe it or not had really been no existent because of the cold snap in December!)


Our first touristy thing we wanted to do was go to the Holocaust Museum. I was so excited about this because I had just finished reading the book NIGHT by Elie Weisel and knew that I could possible handle the photos and videos that they throw at you behind the high walls. It still broke me down to tears! I Just can't help it, it really hits me deep in the heart!



I am still amazed that so many people were fooled by the Nazi Propaganda. I mean they played their trickery so well what with the Red Cross tours, the Olympics, everything. They were so good at hiding the nasty, horrible things they were doing and yet, it still amazed me that there were so many that turned a blinds eye to it all. Even the United States turned a blind eye to the "rumors" because we had so many problems of our own at that time. and then when it came time for Liberation of the Concentration Camps that the USA military encountered the Horror of what had been going on finally reached home. I think that is when I broke down the hardest was the videos of the Liberation of Dachau and Buchenwald! But what really got to me the hardest was the thousand of shoes that were on display of the poor Jewish people who were put in those concentration camps! It reverberated to my soul and I totally lost it!

I have seen so many wonderful things while here. The hotel we are staying in is absolutely amazing, but to me is still not like the Grand America in Salt Lake City, Utah. (which is my absolute fav! Yes, I know I am a spoiled gal when it comes to some of the hotels I get to stay at!)



I didn't have a clue as to how much Matt and I were going to be walking and ended up seriously exhausted by the time I finish the first night.
Matt has been such a trooper waiting for me to stop and start and stop again to take pictures because this is what I do... I am a shutterbug and want to remember our trip in details!

Thanks Honey for your patience!!!
Well, I hope you enjoy the first day pictures!

No comments: