Today was our first escapade out of the downtown area of D.C.
We decided that we would head out to the Hallowed grounds of Arlington and visit The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, J.F.K and Jackie Kennedy's burial site and enjoy the peace of all that is included.
It was absolutely amazing how peaceful the cemetery could be when the Ronald Reagan National airport planes weren't taking off!
We had a special chat with one of the soldiers on duty whom Matt saw inside their soldier quarters right before the changing of the guards of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. That fine soldier was absolutely the friendliest I had ever seen and was quite a contrast to his counterparts that were on guard who were silent, composed and really serious (which is as they should be, right?)
I loved the so many different war hero's that were buried in that large cemetery and it was quite sobering to think all the men and women buried there had been killed in the service of their country and were there to protect ME! Coming from a mom who's middle son wants to serve in the Air force, I am so thankful for their sacrifice to our country. Thanks to all of you who in some way or other are serving our country! My hat and heart is out to you. Kyler is considering a very special career and in some ways it scares me and in other ways I am so proud of him for being so selfless!
(disclaimer: I am sitting in B and N writing these blog entries and I didn't delete any of the numerous pics on this entry or give captions. I am sorry, but I am just tired of the yummy smelling coffee and it is getting late. Please forgive me. -S-)
I hope that you enjoy our pictures,
May you feel the awe that those who have gone on ahead deserve!
No comments:
Post a Comment