Friday, January 1, 2010

Ocala Christmas Parade

We were invited by the Stentiford's to share their lot to watch the Ocala Christmas Parade. Mckenna was over at a friends house, Kyler was in the parade which is why we went in to the first place! Matt doesn't necessarily like parades, and yet, I love them. So when the kids are going to be in a parade I am so thrilled!!!


Matt With Robert "Papa" Stentiford, They had
a great food and music set-up!

I love the smell of the vendors food even though I was not eating any of the crap they were selling, I love watching the people who are there observing the parade, and I love the patriotism that the Veterans create when the parade starts and that beautiful American Flag and the participating State and/or City Flag glides past!



Big Bands marching down the street are so exciting, and that is probably the best part of the parade for Matt so he endures it for me!

I love Florida parades, the part that they have that other states don't is that since there is no snow, it is usually the majority of the time warmer so that to provide the Christmas spirit, we tend to add lights to the floats! Nothing is more heartwarming than a boat encrusted with Christmas lights. I have actually been to a parade during Christmas that was actually a boat parade on the water and that was really an interesting twist to a parade for me, but was awesome!


Floats representing decorated with Christmas Lights, these are the ones that I found the most festive. I mean who can pass up on a Toys for Tots toy drive?

Kyler was marching in the parade with his Air Force ROTC. There were many High School ROTC's involve in this parade, but Nothing was more impressive that Forest High's ROTC. They by far were the largest group I have seen outside of College! I love that they had Fatigues, Dress Uniforms and their normal uniforms represented. Kyler actually loves being involved in the ROTC and is planning on being involved in the Airforce and ROTC through out the upcoming years. I am looking forward to seeing him in a Dress Uniform, because he looks so handsome in his regular Uniform. This summer he will be going to a Airforce ROTC camp, which he is looking forward too!

Partial section of the Forest High AFROTC, I took pictures of the whole group, Kyler is somewhere in there, but I didn't want to over whelm this blog entry!


The only down fall to this parade was that it was extremely long and there were too many gaps between entries. Also, the feel of the parade going down Silver Springs Blvd was not as personal as was our parades in Santa Clara, which were on a small street or Newnan's parade where it was on a busy street but was tree lined so that it was also more cozy. I think that this must come from my many planned and executed parades that I have done over the years, so I end up watching and thoughtfully come up with things that could be improved! I know, it isn't always a good thing to critique parades but I love trying to make things better and I would kill to be involved in the Parks and Rec department so that I could do what I love in helping plan the activities in the City!!! lol

No comments: