Sunday, September 23, 2007

Homecoming 2007

Since I still can't believe that I am old enough for Devin to be a Junior (and as I have said before- Neither can anyone else I have come to know.) I thought that maybe I would post about an experience that Matt and I got to share with Devin in a new way;
Chaperoning a Homecoming Dinner and planning the day date.

What was that?! A Day Date?! Yep, not only do the kids go to dinner, get their pictures taken and then go to the dance, they also have a day date (all day long- it seems. Maybe I talked about this when Devin went to the Girl's pref dance- but not sure..) Ridiculous I know, but that is what they do!

So it started a month and a half ago with the "HOW DO I ASK JASMINE TO THE DANCE?" question from Devin to me. Well, I thought about about unique ideas to ask Jasmine (who by the way has been one of Devin's best friends since 3rd grade,) but Devin beat me to it and so while we were at Bear Lake he asked her to the dance. He took a bag of flour, wrote a poem about the dance and flours and left it at that. She dug through the whole bag of flour looking for who the invite was from and didn't find anything so she dug through it again 2 more times. Can you imagine the mess? Then 3 hours later, Devin delivered a Red Rose with a note that Said," Oops- wrong flower!" and then his name. She thought it was great, 3 weeks later she answered him back even though she had already told him that she had 3 dresses to chose from (which to me meant she was going with him.)
She answered him with a jar full of m&m's and Skittles and said that if there were more skittles than m&m's the answer was YES, more m&m's than NO. He loved that way to answer too.

So, now that the pleasantries of the question and answer was over we moved on to the WHO will be going with us- What kind of Group can we start- so he asked his friend Tyler if he wanted to go with him and double date and it turned into 4 couples from there after Tyler asked Zack and Devin asked Corey if they wanted to go too. So the boys started planning the day date and the dinner.
They went through 4 different plans for the day date from ATVing and a Picnic, to Swiss day activities (since it was the same weekend,) to finally arriving at "HEY, let's do a scavenger hunt!"
Zack was suppose to have his mom and dad plan that since Tyler's parents, Matt and I were already doing the dinner stuff, but Zack didn't ask his mom and so it fell apart after that. I ended up kicking it back into gear with a Scavenger hunt by Pictures. I went through downtown Santa Clara, St. George and Washington and took pictures of statues, fun places to visit and interesting information about each town and then wrote up a description of activities to do at each place. For instance these pictures:


3. Drive to a downtown that you do not live in. Here is where we start the walking tour… Take a pic with Brigham here then move on to the next pic!


4. Now that you have taken that pic with Brigham make a wish in this water oasis…

They had to finish their hunt in 2 1/2 hours take pictures (which we provided throw away camera's. Which by the way only cost $7.43 for 4 because they were on sale, albertson's overcharged me and ended up giving me 3 for free! What a deal! Happy Homecoming to me!)

Then Devin started Saving money for his tux, the corsage, the dinner, the tickets to Homecoming, lunch and for the pictures at the dance! So much for one day...

Matt took Devin to get his Tux. Devin went and ordered Jasmine's corsage-( i really wanted to go with him for the one, isn't that a right of passage for a mom to go with her son to pick out a corsage?) It's okay though, because the shop didn't keep his order! we found out from Jasmine's mom that something might be up when she went in to match ribbon to Jazzy's dress and they told her that he didn't have an order. Luckily, I went in, true enough they didn't have an order even though he had ordered and paid! Devin show up with Matt a few minutes earlier and got it all straightened out the day before the dance!!!

Then the big day came, they left for their date at 11:30- it was poring!! Matt and I had planned a fun place for the kids to eat their lunch and then start their scavenger hunt but the weather wasn't working out so the kids eat their lunch and Tyler's house. Then they did the scavenger hunt in the rain- the kids said it made it more fun- I thought that was great! (Swiss day's was a bust that day- but not on Friday.)

The kids came home at 3:30 Jazzy had a hair appointment. Oh, I forgot; Zack ended up bailing on the other's because his mother had been planning activities with other mother's in a different group. That left a little awkwardness since Zack was driving Corey and his date (who was Zack's dates best friend.) But It made the hunt funner because they all went together which took off the pressure to win the other group (and took off the stress for me since Devin was driving my car- I knew there wouldn't be so much speeding then!)

Devin picked up Jasmine at 5:30 and then went and got the other's so that they could get their pictures done. Matt and I left at 6 to help set up dinner stuff.


Here is the rest of the night in Pictures!



Devin and Jasmine



Tyler and Tiffany

(Jasmine and Devin's best friends)

Corey and Bree


Corey, Tyler and Devin

Devin says, "Let's do a Princess Leia."

All the parental's said, "what? that is a Charlie's Angels!"

Dinner! Yum- steak, chicken, salad, baked potato, pie and sparkling apple cider!

Jasmine and Devin's shoes- aren't they quite the pair?

1 comment:

Sharon said...

FUN!!