Saturday night Jenny and Walley came over after the Adult session of Stake conference. They mentioned that Megan ( there 12 year old,) had been upset on Friday because they usually have Donut Friday at home and since they couldn't go to the store, because they were living on Food Storage. I was really curious about that. She told me that she would tell me later about it. The funny thing is that I had just bough donuts some 2 hours before so I sent donuts home with them for Megan and the other kids.
They invited us over for dinner for the next night. I was looking forward to having dinner with them because Jenny had told me about these yummy Taquitos that she had made a week before (which was weird, since I don't usually like mexican food- unless it is taco's made mommy style,) and because I had been sick for 2 weeks, hadn't been out and since their family had been sick with the same thing and Wally was still feeling it we all decided to feel miserable together!
What we didn't know is that the Ritchies were just finishing 2 weeks of having to eat from there food storage! What nice people to share the only food they had left.
Their Bishop had told them in December what his plan was about having a disaster happening and challenged them to go for 2 weeks with just their food stores already in their house. So in February, the Bishop told them that there was a emergency and they were off for 14 days of no shopping. The Ritchies only had 3 gallons of milk starting that Sunday so they drank evaporated milk for a while and then dry milk (ughhhh.) They were almost down to nothing when we got there, but we had yummy chicken and dumplings, the taquitos, home made rolls, and yummy home made chocolate chip cookies! I guess they saved enough to feed us. They were able to shop the next morning. They were really appreciative of the lessons and trials that they went through and learned from.
And, wow, was the food yummy! I am not sure how we would have made out if our Bishop told us about the same challenge, but It really made me think about our plan for an emergency and how we would handle it. That has started our quest for a better food storage system.
I told Jenny about how my mom use to go to the cannery and bring home canned pork, and we would have yummy fried rice with it. How she also made grape juice, canned fruits and canned chicken. I have talked Lisa and Jenny into going to the cannery and doing more to help and to bring home. Lisa is always talking about the potato pearls at the cannery, we had those at Jenny's and they were better than the betty crocker flakes. The funny thing is that Lisa is not a member of the LDS church, but she wants to help out at the cannery and bring home those potato pearls. I love my friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment