Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Okay, Here We Go.....Solo!

So, we got Mckenna's hair done and went to her 2 hour practice for her solo and team. That in it self could be a grueling time. But as it always goes with Mckenna she goes, she dances and she conquers!
Interestingly, this competition is like nothing that she has ever done before, either you came in first or you came in second. The queen position was something that you paid for. You paid $24 extra dollars for a trophy and a sash and a picture. Really dumb! Mckenna of course came in first place! We didn't care about the first place position though because really there was no one else that danced as well as she did for her age and category and it was just like SUPAF were you are judged on your own ability. But it was good for her to have the floor time and the audience to work on her presence and facial expressions (smiling, silent vowel sounds etc..) We just considered it a great practice time (even though we paid for it.)
Below are a few pictures that Devin took while I was running the camcorder. She sure was good! Hope you enjoy.
Oh, yeah, we got her judging sheets today from her dance teacher and she go a 9.9 (a 10 is a perfect score,) from all three judges! They suggested that she be moved up to the intermediate level. Her teacher and I discussed that tonight, but we have decided to leave her in the beginner since she is only 8 and if we moved her up and she won Queen she would have to go to the Advanced level and she is just too little for that level (those are usually 14 years and up.)
I was looking at the judging sheets and I was wondering where in the world this little girl came from. Where would she have gotten the love of dance? I mean, I was a girly tomboy and I didn't like taking those few tap classes that Lail Lomax mother taught in her garage. I guess Mckenna just has that competitive spirit that all of the rest of our family has and since the boys are so athletic, of course, Mckenna is too. I love that she loves to dance because she really is fun to watch. Her teacher (who is 20 years old, ) says that Mckenna will be a force to be recond with when she is in middle school and has really figuared out what makes it all click. Sortof like what she was doing in her mind during her hair appointment.
Enjoy the pictures!


Well, there she goes: this is her walk on before the music starts and she starts dancing!

What a perfect Backbend! (In the right hand corner is her teacher Mckel looking on.) She took first in this competition.

No comments: