Before heading off to N.Redington we decided to go catch a spring training game. We wanted to see the Redsox play, but Fort Myers is more south of my parents and so we decided to go see a Yankee's game (even though we are not fans,) but the great thing was that when we got there we found out that the Yankee's were playing the Atlanta Braves- now, I can easily watch them since we route for them all the time anyway (okay, just not when they play the Redsox which is hardly ever!) When we got to "Legend's Field" (oh crap, now they call it George M. Steinbrenner Field,) we were approached by a Scalper who wanted to sell us tickets in the nosebleed section for $20 a piece, but tickets are usually $17 so we said no we didn't have cash and went to the window. As we were talking to the Ticket Agent, Matt asks them about the rule about Scalpers and of course is told that it is illegal. Duh (to the scalper,) but I loved that he asked right in front of the Scalper while he was still trying to get us to buy his tickets... HAHA- Matt, The Warrior!
All there was left of the the tickets was standing room only so we took what we could get and headed up the stairs. After a while of walking around we started to wonder if maybe we should really have bought the scalped tickets cuz when they say "standing room only," they mean, you can walk around but don't lean on any of the railings, or you can hangout near the bar if you are buying but not anything else. We found the one rail you were allowed lean on and proceeded to watch the game.
A very sweet usher at the Expensive eating tables (season tickets in the high hundreds...) I guess took pity on us or was just really observant and told us that there was a counter/table that was unoccupied because the season ticket holders had moved and hadn't sold their table yet, so she asked if in the bottom of the 4th inning would we like to sit there? Of course we jumped at the chance and because Kathy was so sweet (the usher,) she actually let us down there at the top of the 4th! I thanked her since my poor little feet were starting to hurt, I was wearing comfortable heeled sandles which after 3 innings are not so comfortable (hey, I thought I was going to be sitting and wanted to be cute!)
The Braves ended up winning and they only played like 2 of their main players and all their minor league players and the Yankee's played a lot of their main players. But A-rod was not one of them! On the Braves roster Chipper Jones was once again on the injured list... Grrr. He seems to have injury after injury and they seem such small things. Is he afraid to just play like he used to? Come on Chip step up to the plate and give us a good game! It just wasn't that exciting of a game- I felt so let down. Even though the Braves won, all us fans are still wondering when, oh when, will the Braves be good again???!
Now, on to the fun and excitement of the Candy Kitchen, the beach, the pool, the grandparents & Mary and a bbq with the best view of all time!

First thing my kids always want to do when we head towards North Redington is to go to Madeira Beach and get icecream at the Candy Kitchen. When we lived in Utah we went to Florida every other year or yearly if we were lucky. The last time we went we stopped at this little teeny mom and pop shop in the middle of what seems like no-wheres-ville for the beach!
But oh, the candy, oh, the icecream and the desserts! (notice the signatures on the ceiling?) The candy is old fashioned soda shop candy, Pezz, Good and Plenty, Bit o' Honey, dip n stix, candy cigarettes, you name it they got it! But the best part is the icecream- all handmade by the owners (okay now a few dozen employees too,) and it is to die for! The cookie dough icecream is made with big dime-sized cookie dough and chocolate chip pieces that just melt in your mouth! (Mom! can you bring some to us when we all go to Aunt Melissa's tomorrow?)
My parents really do live in Heaven! I can not tell you how lovely their view is without you actually seeing it and experiencing it (don't worry, dad that is not an invitation to my friends for them to come hangout at your place!)
When Matt gets really stressed he dreams of sitting on the clubhouse veranda just reading or in the case of what usually happens talking to my dad for hours! The rest of us either swim, watch a little t.v. in the clubhouse, play games in the game room or sit at the tables and play skipbo (which we are usually defeated by the master himself- Kyler Brower!)
At the end of the day, we take everything back up to their condo and say good night and head home. I love the view when we are getting ready to head downstairs to our car because from the front of their condo is my favorite view of the Bay! It is just so peaceful and calming and closes the day with a "hey, we are glad you came, enjoy the ride and dream of coming again!" or so it seems to me!
Thanks Mom, Dad and Mary for letting us sporatically crash your pad and give us the love and peace that we crave!
4 comments:
Your Candy Shop sounds awesome. I'm craving ice cream as we speak!
Hey, we just went and saw a spring training game with the Angels/Dodgers. The game was sold out when we got there, so the kids really freaked out when we pulled up to a scalper, who actually gave us a deal @ only 1 dollar more each than asking price. Don't tell Matt!! lol It sure was fun! We didn't have Ice Cream afterwords but Hey, next year we'll come out there for Spring Training and you can take us!! :)
I wish I could be there too.
I love your new blog template its so cute!
Oh my gosh! It's so great to hear from you! It looks like you guys are doing great! I didn't know you had moved! SAD! I'm sure you're loving it though! Bruce and I are doing great! Just love life! Keep in touch!
Post a Comment