Monday, February 14, 2005

Oh, How the sweet get sucked in!

Last December I quit my job at Snow Canyon Middle School so that I could spend time in Miss Mckenna Marie's classroom. We were having problems with her teacher. Kyler had the same teacher and I actually non-requested her but when you take your child out of the class schedule 1 day before school ends thinking that you are moving, you end up having no choice when the next day you have to put your kids back into the same school! Anyway, Mckenna needed me and so did her teacher so I quit working in the Special Ed department.

Everytime, I walk into the Middle school now, their Vice Principal asks me when I am coming back. And everytime I tell him "Next year." But this last Tuesday I went in to get Devin for the Southern Utah Performing Arts festival for his Violin adjudication (he, got a superior by the way, playing Witches Dance,) and Mr. Gubler again asked me if I was back! I said, "NO, but maybe next year." But as my life story goes, Mr. Goldhart the principal was in Mr. Gubler's office and they had come up with the perfect job!

So, because I am so sweet, I tell them that I will go home and think about it. After talking to Matt about it and weighing the pros and cons, have caved in! I am going to be their Recovery Tracker for those students that are struggling for grades, those who are failing and those who are just plain sluffing classes(where was a person like that when I needed one?) I am able to pick my own hours, my own days to work and still help in Mckenna's class. I plan on working 10 1/2 hours a week. That isn't too bad and yet, I will have a little money to pay off a car and a little spending cash for me!

I have a friend who I guess has a daughter in 9th grade that gets called all the time for her failing classes. She says that it doesn't do any good to have someone call and tell her that her daughter is failing because she already knows that and it doesn't do any good to talk to her or her husband because her daughter just doesn't care! Now, I am not sure how the system works yet because I don't go in for training until Wednesday, but since, I have lived through the type of situation of not doing work for grades, getting poor grades and being tardy all the time, maybe I can draw off those may years of experience and help just a little. I don't know, some of these kids are just plain stuggling for lack of help at home. Some of these kids just don't give a darn about school, but I believe that if I can help just one get it, I have succeeded.
So, here is too a good challenge!!

1 comment:

Rich said...

Hello Everyone,
Sorry to hear about Joyce.
I also wanted to congratulate sandi on her new job. Wow that sounds like an amazing job. And of anyone I know YOU are the perfect person for that . You will do such a good job.
I love you all so much!
Sharon