Christmas break was, lets say, a little interesting this year… we didn’t have a full tree. We had an tiny artificial tree (Devin’s,) like we did the year before we moved to Ocala, I think it is because the day we were going to chop down our tree at the tree farm was the day that Florida decided to have a crazy cold snap. Then Devin came and he wanted to help get one, but we knew by then that we were going to be leaving for Maryland the day after Christmas and this was 6 days before that. Why buy a tree that you know you will have to take down within 6 days? I really missed having a tree! I was lucky a little because our ward Christmas party had tables decorated with live tree cuttings if you wanted them to. I decorated one of the tables and so I took the scraps home, make a swag, and a few decorations on shelves and in my pinecone Twisty paper basket. So, the house for a few weeks smelled like we had a live tree!
When Devin arrived from Santa Clara, we were so excited we picked him up at the airport and then we were off to Miami for our Florida Family Christmas Party, As I mentioned in an earlier post. But, when we got home we decided to watch a few Christmas music classics. We watched Charlie Brown Christmas, a few Hallmark movies (which Kenna and I loved when the boys were out and about,) and then we watch these two shows…
Who in their childhood hasn’t watched A Christmas Story and thought- hey, does your tongue really freeze like that to the flag pole? Well, I don’t know from experience, but I have been told that it sure can. Poor Kid.
As a mother, this lamp makes me cringe, as a kid I thought that was as risqué a kids move could get! I mean, look at Ralphy feeling up that leg. Shame on you Ralphy!!!! But, I always think it is hilarious how excited his father is winning this lamp and how he reacts when his wife breaks it (on purpose, I might add!)
Don’t we all as kids wondering if our parents will feel bad that they punished us if something happened to us soon after? I know I did. I love, love this scene!!!!
And then my favorite, feel good-fall in love-route for the-underdog-cry a little-cheer a lot movie of all time: It’s a Wonderful Life!
Do you not weep when George runs into that “drafty old house,” calling for Mary and finds those beautiful cherub faces looking at him from the top of the staircase?
remember- it’s not the money that you have but the impact you have others an the friends and love in your life.
“teacher says, everytime a bell rings and angel gets his wings.”
That’s right Suzsu…
Angels are really you know… they can’t right in a book if they weren’t! I love that my t.v. and camera let me take such great clear pictures!
But, my favorite scene in the whole movie? I wasn’t able to get a picture of because the movie was already ahead of it by the time we realized that it was already one. Is when George promises Mary the moon. That is something that Matt quotes all the time, and I always want to start singing. “Buffalo gals won’t you come out tonight annnnddd, dance by the light of the moon…” I would love to paint that same scene and hand to Matt on our 25th anniversary. I guess it is a good thing he never reads our blog! So, I can still do it!
Don’t you feel that some of the greatest movies come around every Christmas? I am so glad they are played at all hours of the day or every day of the year so we grow tired of them. That is one of the magic’s of Christmas…. the music, the stories, the movies, the sweetness, kindness,patience of others during this time of year and most of all the Savior’s love for us and our Heavenly Father’s love and unselfishness to send the Savior to live on Earth so that we can have the chance to return to His midst!
1 comment:
Aw, I love all those films! And I can totally speak from experience that tongues stick to metal objects in the cold...
Post a Comment