Wednesday, August 30, 2006

HIgh School and all that goes with it! OR Where does the time go?!


Posted by Picasa



Wow!? Am I old enough to have a child in High School (I know that Devin was in 9th grade last year- actually considered high school, but not really,)?

Because, I feel as if I am too young for this masterful moment in time, (or just because I miss my little "D,") I have been putting all of Devin's 1st grade school papers into a binder for him so that he will have them to look at later on in life. It is so hard to weed through what we should keep and what needs to be thrown away. How do you get rid of such fun artwork like Devin's since he was a great artist even at the age of seven? I still have too many papers and Devin says he wants to keep it all, so I guess with Matt's help it will tapered down a little more...

The first week of High School for Devin has been amazing,
("so much better than Middle School").

  • He lockers under a really "hot" girl (as he puts it,) who asks for hugs ever morning before they head off for class. The classes are really cool, except for Biology (it's always the teachers for that sophmore biology- that ruins the class--remember Mrs. Blumel?)

  • He got to drop Guitar (teacher didn't really want beginners,) and ended up taking Ceramics...

  • He and his friends get to go to Ethan's for lunch every day ( Ethan's mom is a great cook- they are from Hawaii,) which is great for me too, I pay $10 a week, and He gets nutricious food for lunch.

  • BUT THE BEST THING OF ALL: Homecoming Week is this week! All the activities are way too fun for him to miss out on, but alas, he is not old enough to go to the Homecoming dance since he is not 16 years old yet. In his naive way, he gets asked to homecoming but is not really sure if he really was asked or not; "Aren't the boys suppose to ask the girls, mom?" In my day that would be correct, but who is to know in these "modern" times... But he told the girl that he wasn't 16 yet and couldn't go...
Today he asked me if he could just go and drive the explorer- no drivers license (only holds a permit,)- no driving without a parent oops, sorry Dev, no can do...
But all the fun leading up to the Dance is just awesome- today it was feast and famine- (food and fun,) tomorrow the Power Puff football game (what boy doesn't like watching girls play football?), the next day it is the Homecoming parade and then Friday is the Homecoming game and bonfire!

But as a conselation prize for missing the dance, he will be playing baseball in Lehi on Friday for the Labor Day tourney and most of his baseball buddies will be with him, so he really insn't missing anything anyway!

I have realized that there are so many things that I did that were fun in High School and then there are things that I missed out on, which for the life of me I wouldn't have thought of as missing, but as I watch Devin I realize that it would have been good for me to do, for instance not worrying about what my friends thought about me so much and just do what I wanted to do, this is something Devin is not worried about at all- he is very sure of himself (so is mckenna,) and that is a great thing when dealing with new experiences....

This year- I am excited for Devin, but, I am also sad since I am not needed in his school anymore and so I miss out on those really fun inside views of his life (hall way chatter, lunch visits and knowing that he is doing great!) I want to be able to be that fly on the wall and seeing the interaction he is having and the growth that he is achieving in a way that is not always self evident when they come home. But I guess that is what it means to grow-up, move on and become more individualistic so that you can let them go when it is time...


On a side note- Do you know that each of my kids will be turning a momentous age and one that I remember so clearly like they were yesterday. Mckenna- 10, Kyler 13 and Devin 16! I will touch on those in another blog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sandi, You and Matt are obviously doing all the right things creating a nearly 16 year old as accomplished, as interesting and as nice as is Devin - and also with the looks of Matt, Fred, Michael and me, a good-looking guy.
Your writings, Sandi,make us feel you are here talking to us - what a gift.
Devin is so fortunate having the parents he has, and obviously knows this, as he continues to live a life consistent with the values he has been taught, and has acquired thru his own experiences. While it's difficult to remember, as well as forget (no not really contradictory) the soccer ball kicker, the snow shoveler, the Pepsi-drinking, little guy with his Grandpa on Darby Circle, the journey he is on, is observed, and appreciated by us, Devin's Florida Family. And, just think, Kyler and Mckenna are on their journeys as well, with experiences shared with, and also different, from Devin's. And we're proud of all the Santa Clara Brower Family.

Sharon said...

Boy it seems like yesterday that Devin was that little boy in that picture!!
Time does go fast.